Monday, February 9, 2009

Teacher Dad

I have started going to see my mentor once a week for "help" and advice about my paintings. This is on Monday because Sam has that day off. This means he is in charge of the teacher duties. We have been learning about different states every week. We average about 2 states a week. With this I find words for the kids to write and make sentences from, I write those words on the chalk board. I also write the state and the capital city in different colors to help them remember. I chose words that are unique to that state, like Mormon in Utah. Today Sam was to read the Utah book. I found the words, wrote them on the board, and explained the words to the kids. told them to listen for those words in the book. We are not talking a HUGE book here. A library book about Utah from the kids section. Not even a hard read. Well, Sam failed! He was so bored he fell asleep and read less than a third of the book. He told me it was "Boring" and the kids were asking to stop too. I then think about all the times I talk to him on the phone during the day and he's telling me what they ought to do. I always feel angry because I am doing quite a bit, I do not like the backseat driver without even a permit telling me how to drive. After today I now realize that is his shadow at work there. He has fears I am failing because he KNOWS he would. He proved that today. How did I handle this news? I asked the kids about how they liked their substitute. Zane likes Sam better because he fell asleep while reading, and never told him to be quite, because he didn't know he was noisy because he was ASLEEP!
Jonah likes Dad because he was "easy" and "less bossy." James likes me because I am "not as mean."

There you go, kids like the teacher that lets them fool around, except James, he likes a teacher that is not as "mean."

I think it's funny that when I read about the different states everybody wants to visit them afterward, but when Sam reads about them they want it to end. Oh, this is all too funny.