Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Holes

I am growing increasingly aware of holes in James' knowledge. He has had some holes in education, and he also has difficulty retaining some things, so he has more holes than I like to think of.
I discovered yesterday one of his holes. Something I thought he would have naturally picked up on. A subject so common in our life and everybody's life it seemed like he would have grasped it along the way from being around it for 12 years. My newest discovery has taught me something.

1) Never assume they know

2) Free Range Parenting needs to be monitored more closely (as to what they ARE learning vs. what they are not)

3) Unschooling should not be allowed to be used on children unless they are absolutely hungry for knowledge, which my son is not.

This new realization for me is great, but it also means I have a lot of work to do.
I have more holes to fill in than I thought.
This means though Zane and Jonah will benefit from learning at an early age what James missed, again and again.

What I really want to know is how such a bright boy can be so damn forgetful about so many everyday subjects and know things that are not mainstream? He knows about so many things, but not things he needs to know about living in the world.

I will not fret. I have 6 years to whip him in shape and fill in those holes!

Off to school now!