Monday, October 13, 2008

Challenge Air

This past weekend my children were part of the volunteer family at Challenge Air.

What is Challenge Air?

Challenge Air is a place where kids with disabilities, mental or physical, and any other medical condition that is chronic, may come to the airport and literally fly planes. The pilot gets the plane to 2,500 feet in the air and lets the kids take the controls for a bit. It's a blast. My children waited around all day while Sam and I loaded kids into the planes and back out. At the end of the day one of the pilots let my kids go up. My oldest was allowed to fly the plane. He was so happy.
Austen, the pilot, is way cool. He's great with kids. I sure hope he comes back next year. He was much loved. He was one of two pilots that stayed the longest. Tom, from Minnesota, was probably the last pilot to take a Challenge child up.
I went up but have decided that I prefer the Earth and my feet upon her :)
Besides, my when James banked it to the left, my body felt very ill after that! LOL!!
I was ready to come down to the ground then.

I will work this event next year, and take my kids with me.
It is a good education for them!