Monday, September 1, 2008

What is going on these days......

I have not written about homeschooling for a long time. In fact yesterday I decided I would, it had been 2 years since I had. I deleted al but my favorite story, the marriage. We decided to send the kids to a local Waldorf school. It was not perfect, and things happened and we left. We are back to homeschooling, but this time around we are going with the Waldorf approach. It worked for my kids. They really enjoyed how they were learning, stress free and with creativity. Since I have been an on again off again homeschooler for 6 years and I am an artist, I thought I could pull this Waldorf gig off. We are not totally Waldorf either, this makes us unlike many of those people doing Waldorf schools/curriculum.

We have not officially started school this school year, granted it is Labor Day and all the schools around us have started, we have not. We are currently waiting for our Live-Education Waldorf curriculum. We ordered just before the holiday. I will get it at the end of this week, I am sure. I also have decided I will read it all over and take a week to digest it for myself first. not jump into as soon as the box arrives.

Unofficially we began a few weeks ago. We received in the mail a huge box of dead animal specimens to dissect with kit. The kids are loving it. We have dissected an earth worm and a crawdad. Next we have grasshoppers, 2 of them in fact and I think one is male and one female. Should prove to be interesting.

We have been listening to lots of books on tape as we travel about. I will begin to jot those down for record on here. I have decided I will keep a running homeschool journal/blog for my record keeping for the state. They never check these things, but if they ever decide to, like a mean relative turns you in for not teaching them properly, they can come check. I figure I will keep it here. I can email the link, Ha!

We also received via snail mail baby chicks. We are raising meat chicks. This Wednesday it will be 1 full week we have had them. They ship them the day they hatch. We have seen many changes and I will leave details about that. The kids are to come out there and help do something everyday. Water, feed, clean brooder, lay down new paper, etc....

They are having Science.

We begin this week a Waldorf enrichment program with another Waldorf school an hour away from us. The one 20 minutes away has no such program for homeschoolers. We are thrilled to be able to have such a class. It will be all day and the kids will learn Spanish, knitting, drama, art (Waldorf method) and many other things. I will have a day off once a week. WOW!

I am looking into French lessons with Jean-Claude and perhaps French Club with Alain for 2 of my boys. We are already involved in First Lego League; robotics, math, and science club all rolled into one.

We have Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. We should be busy enough to not worry about being bored.
In fact I am trying to figure out when I can take a class on quilting with their schedule. Hmmmm....

Anyhow, this will be what the blog is about. What they read, what I read, what I taught, and what they/we have done.

I want to write a little bit each day, but I think that is overly ambitious and not realistic, I am going to reach for every other day, perhaps less or more, but at least once a week to make sure I have it all noted for my records.

Until my next post.................